Wednesday 19 June 2013

12 Days in China. Day 6: The morning after...



Wow. Hungover is not the word. I think I'm dying and I'm NEVER DRINKING AGAIN. OK, we've all said that before, but I'm pretty close now. Hangovers just seem to kick me in the face that little bit harder the older I get.

Last night (Saturday - remember the Firewall) I went out with my team member and our Factory Director. Our supplier is fantastic. He's Canadian/Chinese so has that western mentality (meaning he gets what we want with no communication problems and I know he treats his worker very fairly) but speaks Cantonese, Mandarin and understands the Chinese culture (meaning we don't get ripped off by other suppliers, which is commonplace over here when doing business).

Some people frown upon Chinese manufacturing, but that's just the way the world works – If a consumer wants nice things that work commercially, the Far East has it covered and has successfully won the business of the modern world. We simply couldn't keep up on mass-volume. Perhaps this'll change in the future, and I'd love to see some manufacturing coming back to the UK, but for the moment it doesn't yet seem to be viable.

Anyway, this is far too deep for my hangover. Let's talk about prostitution instead (you heard me)...


Last night we went out in Hong Kong and ended up in the Wan Chai district. This place has lots of bars and clubs and, I quickly learned, has a high popularity in those bars for men seeking the company of ladies. After about 10 seconds of walking into the bar I clocked that pretty much every man in there (Western) was with a girl (Asian). God knows what they thought of us three... A blonde, Western looking girl; a very white skinny man; and a short Chinese-looking fellow with perfect English.

Each to their own I guess, I'm not one to judge, but it does make me a little sad on both sides to see this. I've been to Thailand, Bali and other areas in Asia and Indonesia where this is commonplace and although it doesn't shock me anymore, it does make me wonder how these girls got into this situation and how or why the men justify taking advantage of it (or if they didn't, where would the girls be perhaps). I've seen it happen the other way round (with well-off Western women and young Thai males) and arguably the customer is often the one being taken for the ride (no pun intended) – The “salespeople” are certainly by no means stupid, but either way it's one of those accepted things because there seems to not be any way out of the circle, but it still makes me feel awkward about being in its presence.

I did drink a lot of gin though and did end up on my balcony room putting the world to rights with my co-worker until 5am. Not sure I'll be going for Manager of the Year award any time soon, but I think it's important to let people rant and rant we did.


Off to a meeting now, assuming I can see straight and make it to the train station. A hungover meeting is my speciality, but like I say I'm not sure I can keep it up for too much longer. I'm generally pretty healthy so I'm blaming the jet lag.

No comments:

Post a Comment