Wednesday 19 June 2013

12 Days in China. Day 4: The Great Firewall of China...



Today I'm over in mainland China. I've been here quite a few times, it's where our manufacturing is magically performed, and I think this is my fourth time over in Hong Kong - Usually I'll go over to the factory 2-3 times during a trip, but I always come back to Hong Kong at the weekends. It's not that China isn't nice, I'm a big fan of all cultures and can stay in nice places and right dives, but the hours are brutal. The factory is open from 8am – 6pm with hour breaks for lunch at 12pm and dinner at 6pm, but I then head back to whichever hotel I'm staying at, which usually has a karaoke floor and a “massage” floor (this one is no exception), and work well into the early hours – It's currently 2am and I'm still going strong. I need to be up in 5 hours. The most depressing thing is when our UK office logs off and I'm still working. But, that's just the nature of travelling with the time zone this way round – If I go to the US, it's much better as I catch up when I wake up early and then they all bugger off by around midday so I'm left to do as I please as long as I'm caught up by the time they wake up again.

Pretty tired this end, so I'll just give you the highlights of my day:

This is the view in China...



This is the view in Hong Kong...


This is the food in China...



This is the food in Hong Kong...


Below is a bit of both – China on the left, Hong Kong on the right.



This is the bridge border crossing. Whenever I cross this to go back it's almost emotional. Again, this isn't because I have anything against China particularly, but it's long hours with little sleep, the food isn't the best, it's hot, smoky, dusty and bustly and it's rare that you'll see the outside of your hotel room or the office as it's not particularly safe for a girl to walk by herself (unlike Hong Kong where it's extremely safe and crime is very low). After a few days of being holed up, working constantly when you're not trying to get some food down you or sleeping, it's a relief to get back to a city that feels a little more like home.

My limit is four consecutive days. Today is day 3 of this first shift and I go back to Hong Kong tomorrow (Saturday). We leave at 7am. I come back on Monday morning (after breakfast) and stay until Wednesday morning because it's a National Holiday in China on Wednesday – Thank goodness for Dragon Boat Festivals. :)

Unfortunately I'm having to write this in bulk and plan to post in one go once I'm back as the “Great Firewall of China” prevents me from getting on to a lot of websites. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, BBC News and Google are either all banned or part-censored (particularly the news). As a frequent visitor, but with fairly short trips, you don't get a true feel for the difference in a Communist environment to our own, but these little things you notice and also, when talking to people who live or work here, you realise some people's lack of knowledge of world news. It's no North Korea and everyone seems very happy (one of our team actually saying how a Communist government is needed because there are so many people), but it's strange to think of anything being censored coming from a part of the world where we have so much access to everything. Anyway, let's not put the world to rights at 2.15am – I've still plenty of work to do.

See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment