Friday 12 April 2013

Driving in foreign lands...


So quite often when I'm travelling abroad it involves car hire. Particularly to the US (as the roads are made by giants, apparently, so taxis wouldn't be feasible), but also in Europe (where the roads are constructed by The Borrowers) when I've got lots of meetings to go to in remote places.

Over the past couple of years I've become accustomed to the usual challenges of driving in a foreign land... Being on the “wrong” side of the road, the “wrong” side of the car, having some maniac throw a gear stick in for a laugh..., but I still find it very surprising that car hire companies don't give local driving information or at least an outline of the rules to the person renting the vehicle before they hand the keys over. It's also the sort of question you hardly feel comfortable asking when you're declining the additional insurances and reassuring the person at the rental company that you're more than capable of working out how to change the GPS into English. That goes into my awkward situations box so is best left well avoided. But, I think it's important. Often when you're hiring a car in another country you'll have just landed from a long flight, been awake for a long time and the last thing you want is to be let out uneducated with a machine of death in your grubby little jet-lagged paws.

You may also be lucky enough to end up with a vehicle such as this one below. The Navy Nemesis, she was named. Pedro, the sat nav also got a bit of a verbal battering, but we made up shortly after and with the mutual agreement that he wouldn't try to send me the wrong way down a one-way street ever again.



For some reason I know that in the US you can turn red on a right and I've learnt the hard way in Europe that a flashing amber (or “yellow” to any Americans reading this) or two alternately flashing amber lights means that the driver has to use caution and give way if there's another car coming. To which direction, I'm still not quite sure. What I end up doing is driving super slowly, muttering a few wild prayers to myself and hoping for the best. I really hope the DVLA isn't reading this (I'm a very good driver, I promise). I find it quite surprising that you don't see more American drivers in the UK trying to turn left on red lights. I think it's a good rule, as it happens. Maybe we can swap them for a few roundabouts.

Also, in Spain (my most recent location) I notice that the lights are right on top of the stop line. In the UK they're usually a few feet in front (or both – fewer roads, more spare lights hanging around I suppose). What this means is that you'll stop on the line, see the lights in front of you at the next stop, and maybe... Just maybe, you er, might, er, think that the green light is for you. Trust me, you only do this once. Also, if you suddenly see an unbroken white line in the road (usually two parallel) make sure you stay on your side. This means that it's gone from a dual carriageway to a single carriageway. Again, I've never made the potentially fatal mistake of crossing over to the dark side, but it does make you jump the first time you realise it.

It's also a requirement to have two warning triangles and a reflective jacket in your car in lots of European countries and if you're going to snowy places, you may need snow tyres or chains in the winter. If it's a legal requirement then the hire car company should provide these, but it's best to check before you drive off. Or if you're in Geneva airport and you accidentally hire your car from the French side instead of the Swiss side, you'll need to pay for them. That'll be a rant coming up at a later time then...




Another thing, if you're driving on the right make sure you give way to the left at roundabouts. Sounds pretty obvious and no, I've never not done this. Touch something wooden. Quick.

In the US, it's all pretty simple. Big cars, big roads, automatic transition boxes usually. I find saying “RIGHT is RIGHT” to myself helps. Watch out for turning left, ever. You'll be tempted to turn into the wrong side. Look out for signs saying you're not allowed to turn right on that particular right. And if you're at a crossroads (a literal one, I'm not getting all deep on you just yet) make sure that you keep an eye out for people turning right on red lights on the other side of the road (into the road you're about to turn into). You have right of way because your light is green, but they might not be on the look out for you and this means that they will flip you off (a gesture I became familiar with on a recent trip to San Diego) and shout profanities in your direction when you both try and turn into the same lane. Usually the customary response from an English person is to shout “Sorry! I'm English!!” in your best Queen's and I believe this then clears the cards.



Also, for some reason I do not understand other than it being due to extreme tidiness, you have to park facing the direction of traffic on the roads in America. Otherwise you get a $75 fine. And lots of people in the B&B you're staying in will laugh at you over breakfast and tell you that you did it because “Italians just park on the sidewalk and roundabouts in Europe” and that'll make you sad and it'll be awkward for all involved.

If you're tempted to drive in Sri Lanka or China? Don't. Just stand somewhere safe by a road for a few minutes and you'll soon work out why.

Anyway, I don't claim to be an expert on driving in foreign places, but these are just a few of the things I've picked up. For more information and for actual advice that's legal and sensible I'd strongly recommend looking at the: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html or http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/ sites in order to not bring any damage to yourself or others.

No comments:

Post a Comment